Project Safe is hiring a Night and Weekend Advocate!
Posted on 8/20/19. The application process will remain open until a candidate is chosen and hired.
Project Safe is hiring for the part-time position of Night and Weekend Advocate. Responsibilities include evening and weekend hotline and shelter coverage. Please see job description below. Send cover letter and resume to the Associate Director, Tangela Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position: Shelter Advocate—Weekends & Overnights
Hours: 9:00 pm to 8:00 am or daytime weekend hours as scheduled
Responsible to: Associate Director
- Be on time for scheduled shift and complete entire shift without leaving premises
- Greet residents individually and offer encouragement, ensure resident needs are being met and provide any emotional support
- Respond to resident request(s) for assistance or supplies needed from the office/storage areas
- Ensure cleanliness and order of the shelter by restocking interior storage as needed, doing laundry to maintain linen supply, sweep main stairwell and programming unit, maintain entryway free of any clutter, and any other task to maintain order
- Complete a walk through of all units ensuring residents properly complete their assigned chores and signing off resident chore sheet
- Maintain overnight shelter security by closing down kitchens, setting all alarms, and enforcing quiet hours
- Answer business line and record messages, make referrals, and arrange weekday in-kind donation pick ups
- Answer hotline and document all calls to provide individuals with support, referrals, relocation, transportation, and any other assistance needed to provide safety
- Provides crisis intervention and peer support to all shelter residents when needed
- Complete intake and orientate individuals and children into the shelter as needed
- Consult on-call staff in case of emergencies
- Inform staff about night shift activity during the monthly staff meeting
- Assists with special projects and tasks as assigned by Associate Director or Executive Director
- Knowledge and experience working with victims of domestic violence or similar field
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to climb steps
- Ability to lift occasional bulky items such as donations, large containers, household goods and laundry