Open positions as of 4/1/2021
Shelter Advocate- Weekends & Overnights
Hours: 9:00 pm to 8:00 am or evenings (overnight and weekend) hours as scheduled
Responsible to: Associate Director
Project Safe, a progressive non-profit organization that provides services to families affected by domestic violence, is hiring for the part-time position of Night and Weekend Advocate. Responsibilities include evening and weekend hotline coverage and shelter operations. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic Residents and Staff are asked to practice mask wearing, social distancing, consistent handwashing, along with specific cleaning and sanitizing of the work environment.
No Phone Calls. EOE
Please see job description below. Send cover letter and resume to the Associate Director, Tangela Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project Safe, Inc. values providing survivors of domestic violence with a fresh start, individualized attention, support, and confidentiality. Our residents’ safety and growth are our top priority. To ensure every parent/guardian and child’s needs are met, it’s vital all advocates represent Project Safe well in their daily interactions with residents, staff/volunteers, and other partnering agencies throughout the community, with thoughtful evaluation, encouraging collaboration, and careful stewardship.
- In an effort to ensure 24/7 coverage, Advocate will be on time for their scheduled shift and complete their entire shift without leaving the premises.
- Advocate will create a safe and welcoming environment for residents by greeting residents, responding to resident request(s) for assistance or supplies needed from the office/storage areas, and ensuring clients are provided a high quality of emotional support.
- Complete intake and orientate individuals and children to the shelter as needed and ensure their initial needs are met.
- To ensure cleanliness and order of the shelter, Advocate will restock interior storage as needed, do laundry to maintain linen supply, sweep the main stairwell and programming unit, keep entryway free of any clutter, and any other task needed to maintain order.
- Advocate will complete a walk through of all units ensuring residents properly complete their assigned chores and sign off on resident chore sheets.
- To maintain overnight shelter safety and security, set all alarms, and ensure quiet hours throughout the shelter.
- As tasks at shelter vary each day, Advocate should assist in providing crisis intervention services. These services will include: answering emergency hotline and business lines, providing emergency financial assistance, making referrals, individual support, resource and referral information as needed.
- We believe teamwork leads to better quality services. Advocate should consult on-call staff in handling emergencies and issues related to children and adults living at the shelter, documenting appropriately and timely. Advocates should also inform staff about night shift activity during the monthly staff meeting.
- Assist with special projects and tasks as assigned by the Associate Director or Executive Director
- Knowledge and experience working with victims/survivors of domestic violence
- Attentive to detail, demonstrate emotional maturity, flexible in management of responsibilities, ability to work independently, and creativity in the delivery of services
- Ability to climb steps and lift occasional bulky items such as donations, large containers, household goods and laundry
- Ability to respect and adapt to differences in perspective, backgrounds, beliefs and needs; Ideal candidate should show emotional maturity, ability to prioritize, above average skills in time management, and adaptability to unplanned situations